Saturday, November 8, 2008

Shopping 2

I prepared an item of passive voice for my 1pm students, but ended up just doing the routine of Shopping 2 as one of the two students didn't show up, and the usually quite one suddenly became rather talkative! In fact, I had to say that I was a bit surprised when she started telling me about her new purchase of a digital TV, her ideas about cable, optical fiber, sky perfect and her weekend adventure with her friends in Nagoya! It was so great that she actually wanted to share so many of her thoughts with me, keeping in mind for the past 4 weeks, her friend had been doing most of the talking in our classes.

Anyway, I thought this was a great opportunity to engage her as much as possible. So instead of following my lesson plan, I encouraged her to tell me as much as she could, giving her help from time to time with grammar and vocabulary. 25 minutes into the lesson, I had listed quite a long list of new words in the vocab box. I decided not to overwhelm her with this free conversation style and moved on to the routine part of the lesson.

She was an orange level student, but had done all the basic and pre-intermediate routines. So I thought we could try the easiest one of intermediate routines, shopping 2. As usual, I laid out the L shape on the board and we went through a coupe of new words pretty quickly. For the L&Q practice, I had to read the story a second time by her request, but she managed to answer all the questions without too many problems.

One point for the day, "I am looking forward to ...." She was meeting her friends for dinner, so there was our example!

No comments: