Thursday, November 27, 2008

Question, question, who's got the question?

Today's second lesson was with a slightly higher level set of students. Three students in the lesson means there is basically unlimited chances for student to student interaction. I always make sure to take advantage of this to ensure a high student talk time and a low teacher talk time. Two of the three students share the same one point so I had 2 one point's to contend with total. By having each student come up with their own example for each of the one points we ended up with 6 nice example sentences that led to some additional questions by the students, and some nice opportunities for student to student questioning.

After that we moved on to a lesson on questions. This encouraged the students to ask questions of each other and of me as well. I made sure to keep my answers succinct so as to reduce teacher talk time. If hey wanted to know more about my answer they were welcome to ask further expansive questions all they wanted, but I wasn't going to give it away for free. They had to ask for it. I encouraged the students to give at least two statements in answer to any question asked of them. This pushed them beyond their normal safety zone of the short simple answer and into some new material. That's where the learning can occur.

The students had many questions for me about how to give the answers they wanted to. I encouraged them to try on their own, and then supported with board work when necessary. After that we reviewed some questions from from a Smith's School of English Routine and finished off with a new one point. Asking questions is hard to to so i was glad the students got so much practice with that skill today!

No comments: