Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A lesson in love.

Today's lesson was with two high level students. We started out with a review of their respective one points. I asked each student to demonstrate understanding of their own one point from the previous lesson, but of their partner's one point as well. It's a fun exercise.

For Today's item I used techniques learned in Smith's training to direct a guided conversation between the students. They talked about the pros and cons of meeting people on the internet and potentially dating them. This included their own personal opinions about the pros and cons of such a practice. It was interesting to listen to from my perspective and I was able to support their English practice with both grammar and vocabulary along the way. A question and answer session at the end wrapped this round up nicely.

After that I reviewed them on routine 8 by telling them a story in short bursts, then asking them to ask me questions to get me to continue the story. They didn't always use the questions I expected but as long as they were logical and grammatically correct it was alright.

At the end of the lesson I presented the one point, "I don't mind..." which brought up the difference between "I don't mind," and "I don't care." This kind of nuance can be tricky even for high level students. We didn't have enough time to break it down in great detail today so the students will prepare example sentences to be discussed at the beginning of their next lesson. Now they have something to look forward to!

No comments: