Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Freedom vs. structure.

Today's first lesson interesting as usual. After exchanging greetings i set about checking the last lesson's one point with this man-to-man student. This student often brings in his own topics and since he pays for private lessons I'm happy to indulge these requests as long as they can be dealt with on the spot and in the period of a single lesson.

Today he wanted to discuss a movie he had recently seen. This was fortuitous since the Smith's School of English curriculum has a lesson specifically for talking about movies in the "Let's Talk" section. I was able to guide the conversation and encourage the student to talk about various aspects of the movie he saw using the handy set of questions from that lesson. The student probably didn't even realize he was being led through a lesson. More likely he thought he was talking freely about a topic he brought up while I asked for more details. I'm always glad when a student can feel such a sense of freedom in the lesson and still practice very specific conversational skills.

After a while all that freedom tired the student out a bit! So we moved into the review of an Item lesson. This was very structured and gave the student the chance to give concrete and correct answers in a controlled environment. This can be edifying in it's own was both for the student and myself.

As usual we wrapped up with a new one point phrase. Today I chose one from the A section; "I have no idea." Seems pretty useful to me!

No comments: