Wednesday, November 5, 2008

If... will

I was so glad to see the two ladies that showed up for tonight's class. I hadn't seen them in a while and we were all excited to do some catching up. We tend to have an interest in the same type of fashion so we spent a few minutes chatting about new hair styles and fall fashions before moving into the lesson.

They had absolutely no problems with their previous one point, "I've been looking forward to (a)," so we were able to get right into the item after a short review.

Setting out the flash cards, I got them started on matching up the If... Will pairs. Logically, they paired up the cards based on what they thought made up a good story. They compared ideas in Japanese with each other before confidently taking turns matching the cards up. Once they'd finished with that, I wrote up a sample sentence on the board, "If I exercise, I will lose weight." One lady changed the sentence to, "If I exercise, I will look beautiful," which was another great example. From there, they took turns going through all the cards and making up sentences to explain the scenarios in front of them. They'd done an excellent job with that so I figured that I'd challenge them a little with the next part.

I told them that now we'd be making up questions to ask each other by using, "What would you do if...?" My first question was, "What would you do if you had super powers?" They were really enthusiastic about answering a question which required them to use their imaginations. One student responded with, "If I had super powers, I would fly." For a little extra detail, I asked her where she would fly. The next student said that she would want to be able to see the future. But not too far. Half a year would be good enough for her to perhaps win the lottery.

Having gotten through the item while correcting grammatical errors and boosting the students' vocabulary, I shifted the focus to a review of the questions from Routine 1. And from there, we wrapped things up nicely with a new one point, "I can't stand (a) because (b)," that they would need to remember for next time.

No comments: