Thursday, November 27, 2008

Hard core review.

Today's first lesson was with 2 very low level students. After going over the one points from the previous lesson and having each student practice the other's examples i asked them to practice some very basic, natural conversation about what they did last weekend. This exercise was a join review of the Past 1 Item and of the basic routine 1 questions. They used vocabulary that they had previously learned and I was able to guide them with questions that they were familiar with. It was a pretty strict exercise, I wanted to make sure they really understood what was being asked of them and how one would answer naturally. In the end we had a board full of nice example sentences that the students were able to then use in turn to describe not only the activity that brought up the example in the first place, but a myriad of other things they had done last weekend as well.

After a rigorous review I moved them into some new material. I don't normally recommend doing review before introducing new material, but the class just flowed that way today. I made sure to keep he introduction of the new item light in comparison to the previous activity. Always good to leave the lesson feeling light and unburdened. This portion was highly structured so the rules were very easy to follow. After showing a few examples the students caught right on and we had a blast.

We finished up with a new one point. Today I used "I have a lot/nothing in common with (A). For example, (B). I gave a few examples and asked the students to demonstrate understanding. Once I was satisfied that they understood I asked them to prepare some examples of their own for the next lesson and sent them on their merry way.

No comments: