Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Getting ready for 9:00

My next student is coming in at 9:00 tonight so it's time to get a worthwhile lesson together for him. This student is man-to-man, which means he has reserved a private lesson so there will be no other students to contend with. The major plus to this arrangement is I can take time with the student's file and really tailor the lesson to that student's specific needs. Some times this could mean a very specialized field of discussion. In a group lesson this might be unfair to other students but in a man-to-man lesson the sky is the limit.

Fortunately planning a 45 minute lesson using the Smith's curriculum is a snap thanks to the intuitive system and training I received. I first check the student's file to find what one point the previous teacher gave the student at the end of his previous lesson. This is the same one point I'll start today's lesson with. Now I need to choose the main peice of material to provide for the student to practice on. Since he is a fairly high level student I'll take advantage of the Smith's curriculum material that is specifically tailored for higher level students. These are often open ended and can lead to interesting expansive answers from the student. This allows me to examine their natural speech and gives me a chance to identify and subsequently correct weak points specific to that student. I'll go with a phrasal verb card lesson since he hasn't had one in a while.

With the main portion of my lesson selected I just need to choose something to review and a new one point. Based on his file he practiced routine 7 recently. I'll give him a review of the questions to keep him fresh in using them. I plan on using the one point B 27, but I may decide to change it as the lesson progresses. Being familiar with the curriculum is my greatests asset since I can always change the plan to suit the students demonstrated needs as the lesson progresses.

No comments: