Saturday, November 22, 2008

Have a nice weekend!

My 5pm student today was probably one of the best English speakers here at Smith's School of English Kyobashi. He had double lessons scheduled today, since I knew his 6pm would be with 2 other students, I thought it might be a good idea to give him as much attention as possible for his one-to-one lesson with me.

As he walked in my classroom, I greeted him cheerfully and asked if he had any plans for the long weekend. His face lit up and happily told me that he would be going out with his girlfriend to Kyoto. Since I myself was planning on visiting Kyoto on Monday, I was eager to get some recommendations from a local. He was more than happy to share his previous trips in Kyoto and started telling me all the best spots for different seasons as well as his personal top 10 list of Kyoto shrines and gardens. From there we also had a great conversation about the similarities and differences in Chinese and Japanese temples, gardens and cultures.

It was fantastic to have such a enlightening conversation with a student and find out interesting information about Japan and Japanese culture, while at the same time, I did not forget that I was in the middle of an English lesson. He was almost fluent in English, but like many, he still made small grammatical mistakes. I jotted down 4 mistakes that he made during our conversation and pointed them out at the end of our class, which I thought he appreciated very much.

Well, I am going to take my student's advice and check out the Kyoto Botanical Gardens for the weekend then!

No comments: