Saturday, November 29, 2008

Catching up on last week.

Today's first lesson was enjoyable. This student and I have quite a long history so we were happy to see eachother again. We dispensed with the one point rather quickly since he demonstrated understanding easily and he had some things he wanted to tell me. I was happy to listen as a friend and at the sime time keep an ear out for possible mistakes or confusion on his part that i could help him out with later on. I always make a point to let students finish their thoughts completely in a natural flow. Then, once they have finished, put some example sentences up on the board for them to fix themselves. This way I can be sure I' ve drawn their attention to weak points in which they need to improve and at the same time I have given them a chance to express themselves in natural conversation without making them self conscious. Its all about building confidence.

While he told me about recent events in his life I made sure to toss out some questions from the Smith's School of English curriculum routines. He responded well.

After that I went through a "Let's Talk" article with him about relationships. It spurred some interesting extended conversation and questions on his part. We continued to go through the questions until there was no time left in the lesson. I introduced a new one point and asked him to prepare some examples for the next lesson. See you next week!

No comments: