Thursday, November 6, 2008

Frequency 1

I had a group of three pink level students last night, two of whom were a bit shy and always attended classes at the same time, and the other one was quite a bit more confident in speaking. I decided to focus our lesson time on Frequency.

The good thing about this lesson plan is that it is quite flexible, and there are loads of cards that can be used selectively for your class. As I had two shy students in the group, I decided to follow the presentation part of the lesson plan, but change the format slightly. Instead of asking students to write down the adverbs of frequency in different percentage brackets, I laid out on the desk the 100% card and the 0% card, always and never, and then asked them to pick out the best spot for the rest of the frequency adverb cards in my hand one by one. This way if they wanted to make a quick change or correct their mistakes, they could do it by themselves easily, without the embarrassment of having me red-marking or erasing their answers on the board.

Once the students familiarized themselves with the degrees of the adverbs and the pronunciation, I had them making short dialogues using the picture cards by asking " Do you ever....". Since this was the second time for them to do the frequency lesson, I didn't spend much time on this activity, instead I moved on to practice 2, which was much more challenging as it not only required students to come up with anwsers based on their real life, but also required students to carry on the conversation. While it seemed difficult for the two friends at the beginning, after 2 more examples from me and the more confident student, they got the hang of it and started really enjoying the small conversations. Before we all realised it, it was the end of our 45-minute class!

No comments: