Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Must / Have to

A lot of the students are not aware of the existence of must/have to, never mind knowing the difference between them, so this lesson comes as a bit of a shock to most of them. My last student this evening was no different. Before I even started the item, I asked her if she knew the difference and she answered me with a terrified, blank stare.

I started off by explaining the difference between must and have to to her. Must expresses a strong obligation or personal feeling whereas have to means that there are external obligations involved. I gave her the example of, "I must go to bed earlier because I'm always tired," and then, "I have to pay my bills," telling her that if I don't I'll get into trouble with my telephone company. She had a pretty good idea of must and have to by that point so we started to give examples for each, leading in with flash cards.

She did an excellent job of separating must and have to situations and was extremely happy to be able to express both with regards to her personal experiences.

No comments: