Saturday, February 28, 2009

Self Introductions

For today's lesson, I had a student who I was just meeting for the first time. So, naturally, it was a good opportunity to practice self-introductions. After we got the student's one point from last time out of the way, we went through self-introductions. I was very happy to find that this student was very enthusiastic and was eager to practice speaking especially. Following brief self-introductions, it was like she was interviewing me! She would continually ask me follow-up questions after I would answer her questions about my school life back home.

She then wanted to guess which country I was from, upon eliciting some clues from me. She first guessed England, then Germany, but then when I finally gave the easy clue (Maple) she realized I was from Canada. Normally this brings about a "Ohhh, Canada is nice!" kind of response from students. However, this student got quite excited as she has plans to go to Toronto, Canada in a few months to study English.

She asked me more and more questions about Canada and about Toronto. And I would ask her questions about why she chose Canada and Toronto, in particular. She would struggle to ask these questions, so I would help her along by writing the questions on the board as she went, and she would eventually be able to properly ask the question to me.

Also, as we continued through this conversation, we would go through certain vocabulary that she would like to learn, and she asked many questions related to how to say things as well. Overall, we went through a lot, Sse took a lot of notes, and she still seemed genuinely excited to keep learning English by the end of the lesson. Since we were covering so much ground and so quickly, I hadn't had the chance to look at the clock, and when I did I noticed we were over time already. So I quickly put up the new one point, and with little help she was able to give a very relevant example. "I'm looking forward to going to Canada because I have never been to another country before."

No comments: