Monday, January 5, 2009

Happpy New Year!

Wow! 2009 is here and we have a whole new year to look forward to here at Smith's School of English. As expected, most students seem to want to talk about what they did over the Christmas and New Year holiday as well as ask me questions about mine. Be fore we get into that though i make sure to establish a one point at the beginning of the lesson to make it clear the lesson has indeed started. I do my best to make this a smooth transition and get it in right away but if the student is excited about something before I can even get a word in I don't mind letting the one point go until they say what they wanted to. After all, In a conversation lesson practicing speaking is the point right? I wouldn't cut a student off when they are practicing excitedly just to fit my time schedule.

After establishing the one point we practiced asking and answering basic and expansive questions based on the subject of the recent holiday. This takes a lot of discipline on my part so as not to do all the talking myself. My job is to evaluate the students' questions and answers while offering support where needed. Some times it's easy to lose yourself and take over the conversation but I keep control for the sake of the students' practice time.

After that bit of fun we so a bit over review in a more structured fashion in the form of a routine. It's a nice way to start the year off since students are often so familiar with the lesson structure. After being gone for nearly 2 week a bit of familiarity can be a relief I'm sure.

With the review finished an no time left we finished of with the first one point of 2009. Welcome back!

No comments: