Thursday, March 13, 2008

Vocabulary #2

The two high level students that I had for this last class at Smith's School of English Kyobashi were very tired because they had just finished work. One of them had just come from a meeting so I let them slowly warm up to the lesson, giving them a bit of time to get into the one point. The first lady was very anxious to get through the one point because she had memorized it while the her classmate was a bit reluctant to pull out her notebook. But we eventually got through the one point and moved onto the item.

We were doing vocabulary unit 2 today and this kind of perked the students up because they like building their vocabulary. Most of the words were new to them so we spent a fair amount of time in introducing the vocabulary before actually moving onto example sentences. They both did very well at using the new vocabulary once they had gotten a firm grasp on the proper usages. Along the way, we had a bit of a discussion on how safe Japan was in comparison to other countries because we'd gotten to the word 'seedy' and the students had a bit of difficulty relating to the word. But after a bit of talking amongst themselves, they came to the agreement that Osaka did indeed have seedy areas but very few.

After the vocabulary, we reviewed routine 7 by asking and answering the questions. We adjusted a few of them according to the answers that the students gave to make sure that the flow of the questioning made sense.

At the end, we wrapped things up with a new one point: "I want (a) to (b) because (c)" and they took turns providing their own examples. The first student said, "I want the teacher to bake me some muffins because they sound delicious." I'd told her about my muffin success earlier on and I guess that this had stirred up her appetite for trying some of them. The second student said,
"I want my dog to remain healthy because I love him."

No comments: